Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Twitter Status Updates to Facebook? We Say YES!

I must admit that I am relatively new to the whole Web 2.0 thing. I joined Facebook about 18 months ago and found about five souls I knew. As for Twitter, I've been an active user of it for 3 or 4 months, still very much an "early adopter."
My guru of all things Web 2.0 is Lyn Mettler (www.stepaheadwebstrategies.com). She advised me to actively use these tools and others for business purposes. Since I started a Facebook business page, linked my blog and began "tweeting," I can directly track several clients to Web 2.0. Additionally, I make connections that would likely not happen by any other means. Web 2.0 is a phenomenal ice breaker.
Having said that, populating my information on these services has been a constant struggle for me. Am I revealing too much about myself? Do I talk too much? Do people hate what I put out there? These and similar neurotic misgivings have, at times, made me feel like I'm in high school again. (I will be 40 this year.)
Several months ago, I linked my Twitter account to my Facebook status. Because I normally make between 2 and 15 status updates per day, I did not believe my chatter on Facebook would be excessive. When I was stranded in an airport over Christmas, I found out differently.
Basically, I vented to my Twitter account about my travel snafus. On Twitter, this was completely fine. People who use Twitter understand that using it is the point. On Facebook, I got several comments from people who didn't understand the Twitter thing and felt inundated with information from me. (Cycle back two paragraphs. Neurotic behavior ensued.) I disconnected my Twitter account and went back to dual status updating.
After a week, my Twitter account is reconnected to my Facebook status. First, I get more commentary on business questions from Facebook currently than I do from Twitter. Because that commentary becomes the basis of my blog posts, I need the additional input. Secondly, using Twitter for status updating is a time saver. I can send a status update over to Facebook without getting sucked into the cycle of looking at photos, reading other bios, and so forth. Lastly, the seamlessness helps me stay focused. I don't have time to do "stream of consciousness" commentary on Twitter and come up with interesting things to periodically post on Facebook.
Twitter is both a business and a social tool. Some people use it entirely for business; others use it exclusively for social purposes. I am not alone in mixing the two.
Others may disagree, but I view Facebook as a both a social and a business tool. I endeavor to put things up there that give a complete picture of who I am, what I like to do, and how I make my living. I can currently trace more clients to Facebook than I can to Twitter, and I believe it is partly because of the honest picture I try to provide.
People who believe they hear too much from someone on Facebook have several options:
  1. They can choose not to read everything out there. I'm certain that no one is chained to a computer with a gun to the head, forced to read each and every status update. I tend to read and view things that interest me and filter out the rest.
  2. They can avoid commenting or clicking on updates from an individual. Interacting with someone on Facebook seems to make the program send more information about that person into the news feed.
  3. They can choose to hear from a friend on their news feed "rarely." Facebook allows each person to control how much they receive about each friend. Choosing "rarely" means less overall information about an individual goes into a news feed, something the "victim" never knows.
  4. They can solicit more friends on Facebook. Less individual information will appear in the news feed as Facebook has more of a sample from which to pull.
  5. They can "unfriend" an individual on Facebook at any time.
Within the next 12 to 18 months, I believe many folks on Facebook will adopt Twitter for status updating, causing greater understanding regarding more overall updates. Additionally, more Facebookers using Twitter will spread out the traffic from individuals on news feeds.
Because they're both such incredible tools, I plan to continue to use Twitter and Facebook together. Right or wrong, it is what works best for me.
Jared Smith posted a well reasoned counter to the above earlier today, and he makes some very good points about the natural evolution of the two services with which I heartily agree. Here's a link to his post: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/note.php?note_id=43655989899. He tweets a lot more than I do in a typical day, up to several times an hour. (Congrats to him. He picked up his diploma from College of Charleston today.)

3 comments:

Lyn Mettler said...

Thanks for the shout out! :) I continue to connect my Twitter to Facebook, because it saves me time and I would never do both. I likewise consider both to be great business networking tools so would like the same information to be shared on both.

Sure, there are some people on there who don't understand some of the Twitter lingo, but that's OK. I figure they'll just bypass that update and move on to something else.

Agreed, if they don't like what I have to say, they can turn me off. :)

Congrats Jared!

Unknown said...

excellent points - twitter away!! :)

Jared Smith said...

Thanks Andra. :) Very well done, and these are great points in favor of synchronizing status. On my blog, I got some comments from people who are using intermediary tools such as HelloTxt and Ping.fm to send only certain updates to both services. Neat way to hit the happy medium. :)