Friday, January 16, 2009

HOW TO WORK THROUGH A TOUGH WEEK

This week has been a tough one for me. I am in a holding pattern with most of my projects, waiting for things to be done on the client end. I drove all the way to Columbia on Tuesday to meet with a very motivated prospective client, who had been all over me for my help at our initial interaction. I drove 2 hours. In the rain. I got there and she said, "Who are you again?" Sigh.
To top it off, yesterday I found out some very disturbing news about a former friend, putting me in a state of "do I reach out or do I lay low?"
Oh, and I made Michael very mad at me yesterday morning. It was completely deserved.
While I could go on and on, it is always funny how the business and personal seem to intersect at the same time.
Here's what I've done to combat a blah week, both professionally and personally.
1. I finished my certified management consultant application. I have been dawdling with it for over a year, wondering whether or not to proceed. Full speed ahead!
2. I'm on track with my one BIG thing project and got some very good advice this week.
3. I had a bold ancillary business idea and have already taken steps to make it happen. Without questioning instincts or dragging my feet.
4. I finished the saga of Eleanor of Aquitaine and now feel suitably charged up to kick some rear end.
5. I crossed most of the things off my to do list for this week, with the remainder being easily do-able.
6. I got approved as a vendor on a major municipal listing service, primarily to provide strategic planning and feasibility study services.
As a small business owner, combating a frustrating week (or month, or year, or decade) requires more emotional stamina than can possibly be imagined. In my list above, I've done both personal and professional things to check my attitude and put myself back on track.
I queried the folks on Twitter and Facebook for input on this issue. Here are some of the responses I received:

Reese McFaddin, owner of Workplace Benefits: "When it gets crazy, I take Baxter (her dog) on a walk by the river for about 15 minutes. When I come back, I feel recharged."
www.benefitwork.com

Cheryl Smithem, owner of Strategic Marketing & Public Relations: "I remember that I love what I do. This too shall pass. The solution is already here inside me. Hard times teach me things. I ask for help." www.charlestonpr.com

Tonia Flores Speir, owner of the advertising agency CASE Solutions: "How can I NOT comment on this one! It starts with good friends to listen. Good business mentors that help you justify and focus. A mocha from Starbucks. My favorite Yankee candle burning on my desk. A deep breath. A cocktail. And the faith within that with every door closed is a new one opened."
www.casesolutions.com

What do you do as a small business owner to pull yourself out of the occasional (or frequent) blahs? However we receive your answers, we will update this post to reflect them with credit.

No comments: